Links and booklist
disclaimer mumbo-jumbo: most of my book links are for amazon.com, who (supposedly) will give me a kick-back if you buy from them(hey- my kids gotta go to college too). I buy most of my books from Amazon, its easy and I like the service, this does not mean you can't do better elsewhere (in the case of most of Dervla Murphy's books you won't have much choice). If nothing else Amazon is an excellent place to find out if you want to spend the money for a certain title, the customer reviews are very helpful.
clicking a link opens a new window, if you're as lazy as I am you'll appreciate this feature.
Maps, Routes and Instruction
Little or no cycling content-travel related
- Unbeaten Tracks in Japan
Isabella Bird-Written in the 1800's a British woman hoofs across Nihon, interesting travelogue.
- A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains
-Isabella Bird-This time Ms Bird is riding through the western U.S. gives a different perspective on the old west.
- 36 Views of Mount Fuji-Cathy Davidson-Essays from the author's 10 year stay in Japan.
- Go Girl-Edited by Elaine Lee-Sistahs on the road.
- "Travelers' Tales-A Woman's World"-Edited by Mary Beth Bond-Short stories and essays of women travelers.
- Polar Dream
-Helen Thayer-She walked to the North Pole!!! 'nuff said.
- "Without a Guide"-Edited by Katherine Govier-Short stories of women travelers.
- Nothing to Declare-Mary Morris-The Author's experience of life in Mexico.
- "Cameroon with Egbert"-Dervla Murphy-This time Ms Murphy's riding a horse through Cameroon.
- Passionate Nomad: The Life of Freya Stark-Jane Fletcher Geniesse-I read biographies, I don't often like them, this is one of the exceptions, excellent book- incredibly interesting woman.
- "More Women Travel"-Edited by Natania Jansz and Miranda Davies-More short stories and essays.
- In Rajasthan-Royina Grewal-The Author's experiences in India.
Stuff I haven't read, but is on my list
- Eight Feet in the Andes-Dervla Murphy-I'd read this one if I could find it!
- Metal Cowboy-Joe Kurmaskie-A series of cycling essays
- Esprit de BattutaPamela Watson - solo bicycle trip across Africa
- Riding the Mountain Down
- Bettina Selby - solo bicycle trip from Pakistan to Kathmandu.
- "Across African Sand" - Phil Deutschle-cycling through the southern African deserts.
- "The Masked Rider" - Neil Peart. This is about his trip through Cameroon with 4 other people.
- "A Crossing" - Brian Newhouse. I don't know anything about it, but I'm fittin' to find out.
CLUBS AND ORGS
MORE INFO THAN YOU CAN SHAKE A STICK AT
JUST THOUGHT YOU'D LIKE TO KNOW
2001 TRIP HOME
PLANNING AND LOGISTICS
WHO WE ARE
OUR MIGHTY STEEDS
TOURING WITH KIDS/
LINKS & BOOKLIST
RIDE PARTNER WANTED